Cauliflower has boomed in popularity in recent years—mostly because its uses are so diverse. It can be transformed into anything from pizza crust to, in this case, rice. Instead of traditional fried rice, which is loaded with oil, this recipe calls for very little oil and and a hearty helping of vegetables—plus protein from the chicken—for a delicious and nutritious meal!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook: 15 min
- 1 head of cauliflower, blended until rice-like texture forms (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast, chopped into ½-inch dices
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- ¼ cup tamari sauce or ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons Siracha sauce
- ¼ cup sliced green onions (garnish)
- sesame seeds (garnish)
- Add the cauliflower florets to a food processor or blender. Continue to blend until the cauliflower resembles rice.
- Heat a wok or large skillet to medium-high.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Add in the chicken.
- Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes, or until fully cooked through.
- Move the chicken to one side, and add in the rest of the sesame oil, along with carrots, garlic, onion, and peas.
- Sauté the vegetables for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower, tamari sauce, and sriracha.
- Mix everything together and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
For more weeknight recipe tips, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/backtoschool.