Who says pasta can’t be pink? Nutritious and delicious beets turn this pesto bright pink—a perfect transformation to celebrate National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Serves 4 to 6
- 3 large beets, tops trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- ½ cup pistachios, shelled
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound dry pasta
- Prep the beets by removing the stem and most of the root, and then thoroughly rinse until they are clean.
- Add the beets to a pot of boiling water, and boil for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the water from the pot, and then peel the outer layer off of the beets. It’s best to do this under running water so that the vegetable doesn’t stain your hands.
- To assemble the pesto, chop the beets into quarters, and place them into the food processor, along with the smashed garlic, pistachios, lemon juice, olive oil, and cheese. Pulse until smooth.
- To prepare the pasta, bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta of your choice, and cook until al dente.
- Toss the pasta with the beet pesto, and garnish with chopped pistachios and Parmesan cheese before serving.
For more pink recipe ideas, visit visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/pink.