Make your cookout sweet this summer—without ever having to fire up your grill! With this fun grill cake recipe, you’ll make cake versions of your hamburgers, hot dogs, and even your grill itself, so both kids and adults alike will get a kick out of your creative concoction.
- Following the instructions for your preferred cake recipe, prepare and bake the cake mix. Let cool, and flip over to remove cake from pan.
- Prepare the icing by creaming together the butter and vanilla in a large bowl. Add sugar to the mixture one cup at a time, combining well after each addition. Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Transfer into four separate bowls, and add drops of food coloring to create gray, red, orange, and brown icing.
- Frost the entire cake in the gray icing first, reserving a little bit of gray icing for later use. Next, use a toothpick to draw a rectangle that is ½ inch away from all edges of the cake. This will become the edge of your grill area.
- Mix together the red and orange icing, but be careful to not overmix—you want it to still look swirled together. Spread this mixture inside the marked grill area, making small peaks while spreading. Be sure to keep some leftover to cover your hot dog.
- Add additional drops of black food coloring to the reserved gray icing, and transfer icing to a piping bag fitted with a small rounded tip. Use this to outline your grill area, and draw black lines across the grill area.
- To make the hamburgers, take the brown icing—reserving a small amount of icing to use later—and mix it with the Cocoa Krispies. Form it into flat, rounded patties, and place on top of the cake.
- To make the hot dog, stick 3 large marshmallows together using toothpicks. Mix the remaining red/orange and brown icings together, and cover the marshmallows completely. Place your hot dog on your cake.
- For added detail, use the remaining black icing to pipe grill marks on the hamburgers and hot dog.
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Mar 30, 2017
Selling Your Home? Declutter First!
| Feb 7, 2018
Crispy Avocado Tacos
| May 19, 2018
Keep Your Electric Bill in Check This Summer
| Mar 23, 2018