Gingerbread houses are a delightful way to add festive holiday cheer to your home, but what about a gingerbread house for your warm cup of hot cocoa? These adorable miniature gingerbread houses fit right on the edge of your mug for a sweet touch of fun!
Ingredients: For the dough
Ingredients: For the royal icing
Printable Gingerbread House Template
Prepare the dough
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix together the shortening and white and brown sugars in a stand mixer, then add the eggs one at a time, beating until fluffy. Add in the molasses, salt, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon, and mix completely, then incorporate the flour one cup at a time.
- Stop mixing once the flour is incorporated. The dough should be very stiff.
- Roll dough to a generous ⅛-inch thickness directly on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Trace around paper stencils to cut out the walls and roof of each gingerbread house. Lift away the excess dough on the cookie sheet with a spatula or knife. Be sure to leave some space between the pieces for dough to expand.
- Bake for 10–14 minutes. Slightly over-baked (short of burning) is better than slightly under-baked.
- Let the pieces cool completely before assembly—even overnight.
Prepare the icing
- Pour egg whites into a very clean mixing bowl, free from all traces of grease. Add in the cream of tartar, sugar, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed for 10–15 minutes, until the icing is stiff.
- To prevent crusting over, keep the bowl covered with a wet cloth at all times. When ready to assemble your gingerbread houses, place the icing in a piping bag and use as glue to hold pieces together.
Note: Be sure all utensils used to mix and store royal icing are free from any traces of grease. This is critical, as even the smallest trace of fat means that the icing will not set.
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Feb 7, 2018
Crispy Avocado Tacos
| Mar 23, 2018
Wine and Food: The Perfect Union
| Jan 25, 2018
The Best Crab Seasoned Baked Fries
| Mar 30, 2017