For this main dish, you coat the wedges of ripe avocado in crushed-up, seasoned rice crackers for a very satisfying crunch. The finish—the Creamy Garlic Dressing—is the perfect complement.
Serves 4 to 5
Creamy Garlic Dressing
- Make the Creamy Garlic Dressing: In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the cashew butter and water. Stir with a spoon or small spatula until the cashew butter is broken up and slightly incorporated. Press the chunks of cashew butter up against the sides of the jar to get it as integrated as possible.
- Add the garlic, lime juice, Dijon mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Tightly secure the lid, and shake the jar vigorously until the dressing has a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Make the tacos: Place the rice crackers in the bowl of a food processor. Blitz the crackers on high until they take on the texture of breadcrumbs. Pour the cracker crumbs out into a pie dish or other plate with a lip. Mix the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper into the cracker crumbs.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and extract the pits. Cut the halves into quarters. Then, cut those quarters in half as well. You should have 16 wedges total. Carefully remove the peel from each avocado wedge.
- Place the avocado wedges in the dish with the cracker crumbs, and carefully turn them over to coat with crumbs on all sides. Lightly press the crumbs into the avocado to make them stick. Once you have all wedges coated, transfer them to a clean plate.
- For each taco, take one warm corn tortilla and lay an avocado wedge down the middle. Pack a small amount of cabbage next to the avocado wedge. Scatter some red onion slices, cilantro leaves, and radish slices on top. Finish the taco with a drizzle of Creamy Garlic Dressing, some dabs of hot sauce if you like, and lime wedges. Enjoy immediately.
Reprinted from The First Mess Cookbook: Vibrant Plant-Based Recipes to Eat Well Through the Seasons, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2017, Laura Wright.
You may also like:
| Feb 1, 2018
Set a Spark this Valentine’s Day
| Dec 14, 2017
Spicy Red Lentil Soup With Butternut Squash & Cauliflower
| Dec 7, 2017
Mediterranean Herb and Cheese Dip
| Dec 1, 2017
Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Chorizo, Lime & Cilantro
| Nov 29, 2017