Who doesn’t love biscuits and gravy for breakfast? The only problem is the amount of time and effort required to make this southern dish—but not anymore. Now you can have a hearty, savory meal that you can “set it and forget it.”
- In a medium-sized pan, brown the sausage, and drain excess fat. Set aside.
- Spray the inside of the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cooked sausage, white onion and cheese. Season to taste, with salt and pepper, and then pour the mixture into the crockpot.
- Cut each biscuits into quarters, and place on top of the mixture inside the crockpot.
- Set the crockpot to cook on high, for 2 hours, or on low for 4 hours.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the butter and flour until a golden brown rue is formed.
- Add in the milk, salt, and pepper to the rue, and stir frequently over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until it thickens.
- Once the casserole is finished, serve with the gravy on top, and a sprinkle of green onion, if desired.