There are some holiday cookies that take hours to prepare. Between mixing the dough just right and baking time, it’s a fun but often exhausting process. And then there’s toffee bark, which you can make from just four simple ingredients in a pinch!
- Saltine crackers
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 12-ounce bag semisweet milk chocolate morsels
- Sea salt, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Layer on the saltines in even rows, covering the entire sheet.
- In a saucepan, melt the brown sugar and butter together, stirring until smooth. Quickly remove from the stovetop, and drizzle in an even layer over the saltines.
- Pour the bag of chocolate morsels evenly over the hot toffee mixture, and spread into a thin layer using a spatula. (Note: You’ll have to work quickly while the chocolate is still hot.)
- Place in the oven for 5–10 minutes, just until the chocolate is fully melted and the toffee is set. Sprinkle on sea salt, if desired.
- Once the pan is cool, place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to chill completely. Remove from the fridge, and break into pieces.
For more holiday treats, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/holidays.