Creamed corn is a classic during the holidays, and many will caution against messing with a good thing. But this twist on the dish, topped with cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs, is only making a good thing even better.
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can cream style corn
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup cracker crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large pan, melt ½ cup butter, and slowly add in the flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually add in the milk and cheese.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat, stirring constantly. Add in the remaining ingredients except crackers, and pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Mix together the cracker crumbs and 1 tablespoon of butter, and sprinkle on top. Bake the casserole for one hour, until the center is firm.
For more irresistible holiday dishes, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/holidays.