There aren’t many people, or canines, who don’t love a good doughnut. This dog-friendly recipe, made with peanut butter and wheat flour, is a special treat that will make your pooch feel like he’s king of the castle. With endless decorating options, this savory treat can also transform into the perfect gift for your dog-loving family and friends.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ cup unsalted natural peanut butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and then line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the egg, and slowly mix in the milk and peanut butter until smooth.
- Once mixed, add in the whole wheat flour and baking powder until a dough forms. Roll the dough on a flat surface until it is ½ inch in thickness.
- With a round cookie cutter, cut out as many doughnuts as you can, and then, with a smaller circle cutter, cut out another hole in the center of each doughnut.
- Continue to combine the scraps together, and repeat the previous step until you have as many doughnuts as possible. Then lay the doughnuts on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the doughnuts have hardened, and allow them to cool.
Dog-friendly decorating ideas:
- Plain yogurt
- Peanut butter
- Low-fat cottage cheese
- Pureed fruit
- Shredded carrots
- Apple pieces
- Chopped spinach
- Bacon bits
- Carob chips
For more pet treats and tips, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/pets.