One of the reasons that dogs are so loved is that they’re very playful and are seemingly fascinated by the simplest things, like sticks or toys. Add a little more joy and show your dog how much you care by creating your own dog toy! This canine craft is made out of simple household items and will provide hours of enjoyment for your favorite four-legged friend!
- Sweet potatoes (amount varies by dog size)
- Sharp knife
- Round 1-inch cookie cutter
- Baking sheet
- Parchment or foil
- 3–6 (2-to 3-foot pieces) hemp rope
- Preheat your oven to 250°F.
- Wash your sweet potatoes, and slice each into ½-inch thick rounds. Remove the center of each round with a cookie cutter.
- Place the rounds on a cookie sheet, and bake for 2½ hours. Flip and bake another 2½ hours (baking until they are no longer soft), then let cool.
- Take all your pieces of rope and make a knot on one end. Using one-to-two pieces of rope per strand, braid them together to make a thicker rope braid. Once you have a long braid. string on four sweet potato rings, and make a knot above them. Add four more rings and then another knot to tie off the end of your rope.
Note: To ensure the safety of your dog, supervise it at all times during play. This toy is intended to be used only with supervision.
For more fun dog ideas, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/pets.