Our homes are busy places, and the daily hustle and bustle can take a toll on our ability to keep things clean, tidy, and organized. One of the best ways to keep your home running smoothly and looking its best is to ensure everything has a “home,” or a proper landing place.
When you’re ready to take your organizing to the next level, consider these essential organizing hacks. Quick and easy, they’ll help make even the busiest rooms in your home stay clean and organized—allowing you to focus on more important things.
Get the whole family involved and follow this list for success!
In the kitchen.
- Use the inside of your cabinet doors for recipe storage using a corkboard or a whiteboard.
- Keep infrequently used gadgets and appliances off the counter and out of sight.
- Store items in practical locations, close to where you use them.
- Upgrade to clear jars and bins with labels for organized pantry storage.
- Create a routine for removing expired items from the fridge and pantry.
- Add a knife magnet to keep blades organized. Unlike a traditional knife block, the magnet doesn’t hold bacteria and saves valuable counter space.
- Use a Lazy Susan in your cabinets to help make smaller items easy to find. Bonus: it’s easy to clean in case of spills.
In the bathroom.
- Use self-adhesive hooks or a wire basket on the inside of cabinet doors to easily store hairstyling tools.
- Install floating shelves near the mirror to store small items, such as makeup brushes or perfume.
- Keep towels in reach by rolling them and storing them in a basket.
- Repurpose small containers for storage of cotton-tipped swabs, cotton balls, and other small items.
- Use a tension rod with shower curtain hooks along the inside wall of your shower for additional storage.
- Lazy Susans aren’t just for the kitchen tabletop anymore! Consider using one in your bathroom cabinets to help make retrieving personal items easier.
- Look for a combo shower curtain and towel rod, which would allow you to hang towels and delicates to dry inside the tub, and out of sight (you will need to install the rod backwards).
In the bedroom.
- Install a second rod in a small closet to instantly double your storage space.
- Keep out-of-season clothes in roller bins under the bed.
- Consider drawer organizers to keep commonly used items organized and in plain sight.
- A pretty key holder mounted near the vanity makes a perfect display for necklaces.
- Use multi-tiered, space-saving hangers to stretch closet space.
- Hanging laundry bags can be a great floor space saver, but who wants to constantly open the bag? Use an embroidery hoop to hold the bag open.
- Create a battery and device charging drawer. Charge your phone, tablet, and other devices out of sight by creating a dedicated space for charging.
In the living room.
- Always look for furniture that doubles as storage, such as an ottoman.
- Corral all remotes and controllers into one place, using a tray or trinket box.
- Have an entertainment center that offers storage for DVDs, games, and more.
- Store toys and other kids’ items in baskets on a bookshelf that’s easy for kids to reach and use.
- Keep magazines and books put away in nice baskets.
- Use a decorative ladder to keep throw blankets organized by hanging them over the rungs and propping it against the wall.
- Stow Fido’s toys and bones in a basket or container that makes it easy for him to retrieve.