Scare up some frighteningly good flavor this season, while getting more function out of your pumpkin, with this delicious dip recipe. Your guests will not only rave about the taste of this dip but will also go gaga over your creative use of your gourd!
- 1 small pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces ale beer, or substitute vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 6 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 slices of thick-cut bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Choose a container for the dip, and then carve an opening in the pumpkin that will hold the container. Hollow out the pumpkin, and rub the pumpkin inside and out with the olive oil. Season the cavity with salt and pepper to taste. Roast pumpkin for two hours (or until slightly softened).
- In a small saucepan, whisk together beer or stock, cornstarch, nutmeg, mustard, and ground pepper over medium-low heat.
- Slowly whisk in the shredded cheddar, cup by cup.
- Remove pumpkin from the oven, and line the outside of the pumpkin with bread slices. Place your container into your pumpkin’s opening, and add the cheddar mixture. Serve warm with toasted slices of thick-cut bread.
For more mouthwatering meal ideas, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/recipes.