Nothing hits the spot on a cold, wintry day like a filling bowl of chicken soup. What can make it even better? When it’s homemade! Try this lemon-tinged take on the classic comfort food, which is bursting with chicken, onions, couscous, and lemon flavor—so it hits the spot!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 10 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- Zest from 1 large lemon
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 2 ounces feta, crumbled
- ⅓ cup chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium-low; sauté the onions and garlic until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken, stock, red pepper, and lemon zest. Turn heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil; then reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the couscous, and add salt. Add pepper to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, and shred it with a fork or tongs. Place the meat back in the pan, and mix in the feta cheese and chives. Add more salt and pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
For more souped-up recipe ideas, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/recipes.