Add a fancy touch to your appetizer table with these chicken cordon bleu bites—a perfect sized portion of the classic dish.
- 2 boneless chicken breast cutlets, about 8 oz.
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1½ cups bread crumbs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 pieces deli-sliced ham, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Heat up the oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add in the flour, seasoning, and garlic salt to a large bowl, then butterfly the chicken, and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Dip each chicken piece into the flour mixture to coat, and then place in the bowl with the milk. Finally, roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the chicken in the hot oil for approximately 3-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Then drain the oil, and place the bites back in the pan.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of Swiss cheese, two pieces of ham, and another slice of cheese, and then allow the cheese to melt.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add half the milk and whisk until blended. Add remaining milk and mustard. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Serve as a dipping sauce.
For more bite-sized snack recipes, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/choosingsides.