Seafood is one of the healthiest dinners you can make, but fish is not always easy to get kids to eat. These “crab cakes” are actually made with salmon, for a healthier version of this classic favorite—with a side salad to bring it all together.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook: 20 min.
- 4 5 oz. pouches of salmon
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 8 tablespoons tartar sauce, plus more for serving (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups (about 8 ounces) mixed baby greens
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Mix together the salmon, corn, egg, 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs, 6 tablespoons tartar sauce, the roasted red peppers, parsley, lemon zest, and ¾ teaspoon Old Bay, in a bowl.
- Gently form into eight ¾-inch thick patties and freeze until just firm, about 5 minutes.
- For the dressing, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons tartar sauce, the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of water, the remaining ¼ teaspoon Old Bay, and pepper to taste, in a large bowl.
- Put the remaining 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Press the salmon cakes in the breadcrumbs to coat both sides. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon cakes and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the cakes are heated through, 6 to 8 more minutes.
- Add the greens to the bowl with the dressing and toss. Serve the salmon cakes with the salad, more tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
Want to see more weeknight recipe ideas? Visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/backtoschool.