Skip the box of chocolates this Valentine’s Day and try this deliciously rich and tart chocolate cherry bread. Your loved one will appreciate the extra effort—little do they know it’s super simple to make! This dessert also makes for the perfect gift you can give to friends and family all season long.
- 1 (10 ounces) bag frozen pitted cherries, thawed, whole
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1¾ cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ tablespoon margarine
- Mix the whole cherries and sugar in a medium saucepan, and crush the cherries with a fork or spoon. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a separate bowl, and let cool. Once cooled, mix in the sour cream and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; combine with the cherry mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch loaf pan with shortening or butter. Add the chopped cherries into the batter, slowly stir in the butter, and pour into the loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Keep in pan for 15 minutes to cool, and then remove to rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate glaze, melt the chocolate chips on the stove-top or microwave them in 30-second increments. Add the margarine, and stir until melted and blended. Drizzle glaze over loaf.
For more Valentine’s Day recipes, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/recipes.