Apple butter is an undeniably popular spread, especially during the fall. But add pumpkin to the mix and you create an entirely different depth of delicious flavor. This spread is perfect on nearly anything, but layered on toast or swirled into oatmeal it’s particularly yummy!
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Mix together until well blended, and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to stir. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, uncovered–for 45–60 minutes.
- Stir occasionally until it becomes thick and creamy. Allow to cool, and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
For more perfect recipes for autumn, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/holidays.