Pasta is always a family-favorite dish, but between waiting for the water to boil, preparing the sauce, and cooking the meat (if that’s involved), it can take seemingly forever to put the meal together. This recipe for healthy spinach tortellini cuts the prep time for pasta practically in half and is just as delicious as any lasagna you would spend hours putting together.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook: 10 min.
- 12 ounces of tortellini pasta
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- In a small bowl, whisk in heavy cream and flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add in the garlic, stirring often until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Stir in the tomatoes, spinach, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep stirring occasionally until the spinach starts to wilt (about 2 minutes).
- Whisk in the heavy cream mixture and Parmesan cheese. Continue to whisk until mixture thickens slightly (about 3-4 minutes). Pour in the tortellini and toss.
For more weeknight recipe ideas, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/backtoschool.