Sweet and salty always go well together, even with pizza. And you’ve got the ultimate in sweet and salty toppings with this pie, which boasts a mix of apples, onions, and bacon in every sensational slice!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pizza dough ball (about 12 oz.)
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅔ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 small sweet-tart apple (like Honeycrisp, Jazz or Pink Lady), cored and thinly sliced
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a small sauté pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion slices, and stir until they are tender and have a caramel color. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Roll out pizza dough into a 12-inch circle, about ½ inch thick, on lightly floured parchment paper. Brush crust with oil. Sprinkle pizza dough with mozzarella cheese and blue cheese. Top with sliced apple, chopped bacon, caramelized onions, and thyme.
- Transfer pizza with parchment onto pizza stone or baking sheet; bake for 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbling. Remove pizza from oven, and place on a cutting board. Cool slightly before cutting.
For more delicious recipes, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/recipes.