Stand out from the chili crowd with this tasty twist on the traditional dish! It’s bursting with peppers, onions, garlic, and spices to bring the heat to its hearty pork base, yet it also features pumpkin and a touch of cocoa for sweet undertones that create a delicious balance—and a can’t-miss eating experience.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound pork stew meat, cubed
- 1 medium-sized poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 (14½-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pour the oil into a Dutch oven set on medium-high, and add the pork, peppers, and onions. Stir frequently until pork is cooked, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the spices, cocoa powder, broth, and ½ cup water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer until pork is tender and the flavors have blended well, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin and the cream until blended well, and sprinkle in salt and black pepper to taste. Return to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
To get more delicious recipe ideas, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/recipes.