Sometimes nothing hits the spot like fresh seafood, especially during the summer. You can also bring the taste of the sea to your dinner plate with this recipe for crab mac and cheese. With an ample amount of crab meat, breadcrumbs, and two different cheeses, this super creamy take on the classic dish is a dream come true for seafood lovers!
- 1 pound macaroni noodles
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups Gruyère, grated
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pinches of ground nutmeg
- 1½ pounds cooked crab
- 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Cook noodles according to the package instructions, and drain well.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat, add the flour, and simmer, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk, whisk well, and remove from heat.
- Add the cheeses, salt, pepper, nutmeg, pasta, and crab, and stir to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spoon into an oven-safe dish, and sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and thyme. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until top is browned and a bit bubbly; let cool.
Mac and cheese is just one way to keep your taste buds happy during cold weather. For more belly-warming recipes, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/recipes.