We are often told that keeping things simple or leading a simple life leads to happiness. That mantra can also be applied to many foods: if the meal itself is good, you don’t need to improve the taste. And this certainly holds true with this mac and cheese recipe, which is super creamy and super simple—making it a hit with kids and parents alike.
- 1 pound macaroni noodles
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook noodles according to the package instructions, and drain well.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat, add the flour, and simmer, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk, whisk well, and stir in the salt and pepper. Continue cooking 6-8 minutes, or until mixture starts to simmer.
- Remove from heat, and add the cheese. Stir until it’s completely melted, add the pasta, and stir to coat.
Mac and cheese is just one way to keep your taste buds happy during cold weather. For more belly-warming recipes, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/recipes.