Turning your turkey day leftovers into soup is a classic way to make sure you have meals for the next few weeks. Sometimes, though, you’re looking to make something a little richer than turkey broth, and this pot pie soup with mashed potatoes will have you feeling like you’re right back at the holiday table.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2–4 big carrots, chopped
- 1½ cup cooked turkey, chopped or shredded
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cup milk
- 1½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add in the garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook until softened and browned. Add in the turkey.
- Mix together the flour and ⅓ cup of water, and then add the mixture to the pot, along with the milk, chicken stock, flour mixture, mashed potatoes, and herbs.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add in the frozen peas, and cook until they are completely thawed. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
For more holiday leftover solutions, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/holidays.