Cookies are a holiday necessity—the entire month of December practically smells like fresh baked cookies. That’s why these flaky, chocolate-hazelnut delights are the perfect treat to serve this season.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Ingredients: To finish
- On a large piece of parchment paper, sift the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese and butter on high speed until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients. Continue to beat until well combined.
- Divide the dough in two. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the Nutella in a small bowl and use a spoon to give it a good stir to help loosen it up. This will make it easier to spread across the tender dough. Use a large chef’s knife to chop the hazelnuts. Set aside.
- Place a chilled piece of dough on a lightly floured work surface and use a rolling pin to roll it into a circle about 9 inches in diameter. Use a small offset spatula to carefully spread the Nutella across the dough. The dough is very tender, so work carefully to avoid it tearing it. If it does tear, not to worry, just press it back together. Sprinkle half of the chopped hazelnuts over the top of the Nutella.
- Use the large chef’s knife to cut the dough into quarters and then each quarter into thirds, just like if you were cutting a pie. Start at the wide end of a piece of dough and roll it toward the point. Bend the two ends in slightly to create a crescent shape and then place it on a prepared tray. Repeat with the balance of the dough.
- Combine the egg and water in a small bowl and whisk them together. Use your pastry brush to lightly coat the top and sides of each cookie. Sprinkle generously with the sanding sugar. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until the cookies have puffed up and are a lovely golden brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them to wire racks to cool.
Recipe reprinted from Butter Celebrates!: Delicious Recipes for Special Occasions by Rosie Daykin. Copyright © 2016, Random House.
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Mar 30, 2017
Selling Your Home? Declutter First!
| Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Feb 19, 2017
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Feb 7, 2018
Crispy Avocado Tacos
| May 19, 2018