You may have seen Kim Nelson on ABC’s Shark Tank or in the last issue of American Lifestyle magazine. Her business, Daisy Cakes by Kim Nelson, is taking off and for good reason. Her handmade cakes stem from old, southern family recipes. We couldn’t wait for our cakes to arrive, so we tried our hand at making them for ourselves!
Ingredients: For the cake
Ingredients: For the topping
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of sugar, 2 eggs, ½ cup of canola oil, and ½ cup of buttermilk until well combined. As you do this, preheat your oven to 25°F.
- In a separate bowl, mix 2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of cocoa, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir well to evenly disperse the ingredients.
- Then carefully fold the dry ingredients into the buttermilk mixture. Stir to combined.
- Finally, add the teaspoon of vanilla, along with the cup of boiling water. Blend all of the ingredients together.
- Pour the batter into the 9-by-13-inch ungreased glass baking dish, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- As the cake bakes, prepare the coconut topping. You will need unsalted butter, light brown sugar, shredded coconut, and evaporated milk, and chopped pecans.
- Begin by mixing together ½ cup of melted butter, 1 cup of light brown sugar, 1 cup of coconut, and ½ cup of evaporated milk in a large bowl. Set aside along with the pecans until the cake is finished baking.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour the coconut mixture over the cake, and top with the cup of chopped pecans.
- Once the topping is evenly layered onto the cooked cake, return the baking dish to the oven for another 15 minutes so that the topping can brown.
Finally, cut yourself a large piece of the creole cake! This recipe serves 12 to 16 people, but it is so perfect, you might not want to share!
This featured recipe has been adapted from the cookbook Daisy Cakes by Kim Daisy (Lydia Inglett Publishing/Starbooks.biz). For more delicious treats, pick up your own copy of Daisy Cakes online.
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Mar 30, 2017
Selling Your Home? Declutter First!
| Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Feb 19, 2017
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Feb 7, 2018
Crispy Avocado Tacos
| Mar 19, 2017