These colorful spring macarons highlight the sweet-tart flavor of lychees with the earthy herbal green tea. A delightful sweet treat!
Makes 2 dozen macarons
Ingredients: For the macaron
Ingredients: For the filling
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites forming soft peaks. Add in granulated sugar and green food coloring, continue to whisk until eggs whites are glossy, and hold stiff peaks.
- Sift almond flour, powdered sugar, and matcha powder into the egg whites. Gently fold together until blended.
- Spoon a small portion of the batter onto a plate to test. If the batter holds its peak, return to the bowl and continue to fold. You want the batter to flatten into light, even airy disks and not hold any peaks.
- Using a piping bag with a round piping tip, portion small disks onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, about ½-inch apart. Let sit, uncovered, for 1 hour until the disks form a skin (the batter is no longer sticky).
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Bake the macarons for 20 minutes, or until set but not brown. Let cool for 2 hours before filling.
- In an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk confectioners’ sugar, butter, pureed lychees, and vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy. Spoon filling into a pastry bag with a round piping tip, and fill the cookies.
Tip: A little bit of oil or water will cause your macarons to not fluff and puff. A silicon baking mat or parchment paper will work—do not spray.
For more creative dessert ideas, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/bites.