Taste of the south in every bite. Rich flaky buttermilk biscuits are filled with homemade pimento cheese and cornmeal crusted fried green tomatoes.
Ingredients: For the biscuits
Ingredients: For the pimento cheese spread
Ingredients: For the fried green tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using your hands or a pastry blender, incorporate butter, breaking up the chunks slightly. Fold in buttermilk until a rough dough forms.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface into a ¾-inch thick rectangle. Cut into 3-inch circles, and place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown. Keep warm until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- Combine pimento cheese ingredients in a food processor, and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Set up a breading station, one bowl with eggs whisked with milk, another bowl with flour, and the last bowl with cornmeal and breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Dip the tomato slices in flour, and then dredge in egg mixture, and coat in cornmeal. Fry for 4–5 minutes or until golden brown, turning half way through. Let drain on a rack or paper towels.
- Spread pimento cheese on biscuits, and top with fried tomatoes.
Tip: For easy meal prep, make the pimento cheese ahead of time—it will keep for a couple weeks refrigerated.
For more tasty recipe ideas, visit americanlifestylemag.com/bites.
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Mar 30, 2017
Selling Your Home? Declutter First!
| Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Feb 19, 2017
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Feb 7, 2018
Crispy Avocado Tacos
| May 19, 2018