In this recipe, the beautiful color and crunch of peppers is paired with light and creamy herbed organic tofu for an incredible blend of texture and flavor. So simple to do, yet so great to devour. You can also sneak in one last taste of summer by cooking them on the grill!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the ends off the peppers, and scoop out the insides with a small spoon. Reserve the tops with stems, and set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium-low heat, sauté the onions in a bit of oil until golden. (Any black spots will add a bitter taste to the dish, so keep stirring often, and keep the heat fairly low.) Add the zucchini and garlic, and cook together until all is softened, adding more oil if needed. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, pulse the tofu until it crumbles. Add the zucchini mixture, milk, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne. Pulse more to combine all the ingredients, but don’t overmix, as some texture from the onions and zucchini is great. Taste the mixture, and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Fill the peppers with the tofu mixture, place on the baking sheet, and drizzle with oil, rubbing the oil on all sides of the peppers. Sprinkle with extra seasoning as desired. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, carefully turning the peppers over once halfway through the cooking time. Serve hot or warm, sprinkled with basil leaves.
Recipes reprinted fromCut the Sugar, You’re Sweet Enough: Cookbook. For more recipes perfect for the home cook, pick up your own copy of on Amazon.com.
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 19, 2017
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Mar 30, 2017
Selling Your Home? Declutter First!
| Apr 25, 2018
Interior Design 101: Master Your Decorating
| Nov 15, 2019
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Mar 19, 2017