Too often the cleaning products made for the home have scents that, when combined, end up creating too strong of a scent. They are also not always safe to use without gloves or some form of skin protection. Remedy this problem by creating your own eco-friendly cleaning products!
Use these tips to create a cleaning product for every part of your home.
Review these base ingredients so you understand how and where the product will work best.
- Baking soda is a fantastic (yet mild) scouring ingredient; it removes stains, and can also soften your laundry
- Castile soap is an all-natural soap base for all-purpose cleaners, dish soaps, and laundry soap recipes.
- White vinegar cuts grease, dissolves mineral deposits, and has antimicrobial properties that rival bleach.
Each has its own cleaning and aromatic properties that can benefit your home and soul.
- Lemon oil is antiseptic and has bactericidal properties – plus the aromatic effect is uplifting to both body and mind.
- Lavender oil has antiseptic, and antiviral properties. Its scent is an adaptogen, assisting the body when adapting to stress.
- Tea tree oil has a spicy, uplifting scent. It’s an antibacterial and antifungal oil, effective at removing mold and mildew.
Add 12 to 18 drops of essential oil to customize these homemade cleaning product recipes.
- 1 cup baking soda
- ½ cup borax powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Castile soap
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
For more eco-friendly cleaning solutions, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/culture.