Children have fantastic imaginations. Why not focus that creativity into writing a story the next time they’re looking for something to do? Try out this fun story starter activity to get the creative juice flowing.
- Separate the popsicle sticks evenly into 4 piles—each pile will be painted a different color. Hold the bottom of the popsicle stick, and carefully paint the top section the designated color. Allow it to sit out until it is dry.
- The different colored sticks represent the various parts that make up a story—yellow signifies characters, red signifies conflict, green signifies setting, and blue signifies a special item. Write down keywords that coordinate with the color category to inspire the imagination.
- For the yellow sticks, consider generic characters, like a spy, a wizard, a queen, or an elephant. For the red sticks, consider common settings, like the library, the moon, a school, or the desert. For the green sticks, consider plot twists, like gaining super powers or saves the day. For the blue sticks, consider special objects, like fairy dust, a racecar, a baseball hat, or a spaceship.
- Store the finished sticks in a decorative jar. When you child is ready to build a story, have them randomly choose one stick in each color, and generate a story based on those key elements. What happens to the spy who was in the library when he gained super powers after discovering fairy dust?
- When you’re done with the sticks, place them back into the jar for next time!
Printable Story Starter Templates
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 19, 2017
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Mar 30, 2017
Selling Your Home? Declutter First!
| Apr 25, 2018
Interior Design 101: Master Your Decorating
| Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Mar 19, 2017