Reusing everyday materials is a great way to save money and conserve our planet. When it comes to garden projects, wooden pallets are the perfect host for flowers. These rustic pallet window boxes are not only affordable to make, but also give the exterior of your home a rustic country vibe.
- You will only need part of the pallet for this project. Start by deciding which end of the pallet you are going to use.
- Remove one of the middle pieces of wood from the pallet with the back of a hammer. Reattach it closer to the bottom of the pallet with nails, to remove the large gap.
- Cut out your pallet shape. With the hand saw, cut the side of the pallet. Cut all of the pieces on the opposite side of the center support. You will not have the base of your planter.
- Fit wire mesh to the inside of the box, and cut off any excess.
- Use a staple gun to attach the mesh to the top of the inside of the box.
- Fill with potting soil and flowers of your choice.
Tip: the exterior of houses varies. You can either purchase a bracket, or attach hooks to the exterior of the window. To determine the best way to hang your window box, speak with a representative at your local hardware store.