Believe it or not, drawers can be used to make all sorts of creative storage solutions—and even a favorite resting place for your furry, four-legged family members! These three easy DIY projects are the perfect balance of form and function, turning once-loved furniture into brand new pieces to treasure for years.
Old drawers are perfect to transform into a trendy hanging storage solution. Using just a drill, some rope, and paint, you can easily turn a drawer into a hanging shelf, or even a handy message center. All of the practicality and use of a bookshelf —but more fun and affordable! Perfect for any room in the home where you could use more organization.
- Drill 2 holes on the back side of the drawer. Put the rope through each hole and tie knots. This will be used to hang the shelf.
- Paint the inside of the drawer a different color than the outside of the drawer.
- Depending on the size and depth of the drawer you are working with, you can add a shelf to the middle of the drawer for extra storage. Measure a piece of wood to fit in the space, and then screw the wood into the sides of the drawer.
- Drill your screws into the wall where you want your shelf. Hang on the wall with the rope, making sure it is level.
What’s hiding under the bed?
Drawers make a great solution for under-the-bed storage. Simply add casters to the bottom of your old drawers, and you have the perfect place to store just about anything. You can even paint the drawers for a decorative touch, or leave them as-is. Corral extra sets of bed sheets, store out-of-season clothes, or wrangle the kids’ toys with this brilliant DIY solution.
- Screw the rolling casters into the four corners of the bottom of the drawer.
- Paint the front and inside of the drawer as desired.
- Depending on the size and depth of the drawer, you may be able to add dividers. Simply measure a piece of scrap wood to fit your drawer, and screw into the sides.
A place for fido
If you have pets at home, you know how fun it can be to spoil them! Turn your old drawer into the perfect resting place for your pet. Just add some legs to the bottom of the drawer, toss in a decorative cushion or pillow that fills the drawer, and that’s it! You can even paint the drawer and/or customize the bed with your pet’s name for added personalization.
- Gather your four decorative table legs to use as the base.
- Pre-drill holes into the drawer, and then screw the legs into the drawer.
- Fill the drawer with fluffy cushions or pillows, creating a soft and inviting environment for your furry family member.