Children have fantastic imaginations. Why not focus that creativity into writing a story the next time they’re looking for something to do? Try out this fun story starter activity to get the creative juices flowing.
- Separate the Popsicle sticks evenly into 4 piles—each pile will be painted a different color. Hold the bottom of each Popsicle stick, and carefully paint the top section the designated color. Allow it to sit out until it is dry.
- The different colored sticks represent the various parts that make up a story: yellow signifies characters, red signifies setting, green signifies plot twists, and blue signifies special items. Write down keywords that coordinate with the color category to inspire the imagination. For example:
- yellow stick (location): spy
- red stick (setting): library
- green stick (plot twist): gaining superpowers
- blue stick (special items): fairy dust
- Store the finished sticks in a decorative jar. When you child is ready to build a story, have them randomly choose one stick in each color, and generate a story based on those key elements. Using the example above, What happens to the spy who was in the library when he gained super powers after discovering fairy dust?
- When you’re done with the sticks, place them back into the jar for next time!
Printable Story Starter Templates
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jun 24, 2020
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Jun 9, 2020
These Tips Are Your North Star For Home Decorating
| Jul 30, 2020