A trio of mouthwatering fruits are made into a savory compote for a hearty pound cake, and then everything is topped with the autumnal coup de grâce: a homemade, hard-cider-infused syrup.
Ingredients: For the cake
Ingredients: For the compote
Ingredients: For the syrup
Ingredients: For topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip butter until fluffy. Continue to whip butter while adding in the sugar, one cup at a time, until blended. Whisk in eggs until combined, and slowly add in flour one cup at a time. Whisk in milk and then almond extract until batter is smooth.
- Grease a Bundt pan with nonstick spray, and spoon in batter. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until cake is cooked thoroughly. Check for doneness using a toothpick: pierce the cake, and if the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- While cake is resting, combine fruits, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a medium saucepot over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, and cook for 15 minutes or until fruit is tender and sauce has thickened. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium saucepot over medium-high heat, bring hard cider and sugar to a simmer, whisking frequently, for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and whisk in cornstarch until combined and thickened. Let cool to room temperature.
- Carefully remove cake from Bundt pan, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Top with compote, and drizzle with syrup.
Tips: The compote and cider syrup will continue to thicken as they cool to room temperature. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week for easy prep.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Mar 23, 2021
Spring Cleaning Countdown
| Jun 9, 2020