This breakfast has a taste of the South in every bite. Rich flaky buttermilk biscuits are filled with homemade pimento cheese and cornmeal-crusted fried green tomatoes.
Ingredients: For the biscuits
Ingredients: For the pimento cheese spread
Ingredients: For the fried green tomatoes
- For the biscuits, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Using your hands or a pastry blender, incorporate the butter—breaking up the chunks slightly. Fold in buttermilk until a rough dough forms.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface into a ¾-inch thick rectangle. Cut into 3-inch circles, and place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown. Keep warm until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- Combine pimento cheese ingredients in a food processor, and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Set up a breading station: one bowl with eggs whisked with milk, another bowl with flour, and the last bowl with cornmeal and breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Dip the tomato slices in flour, and then dredge in egg mixture, and coat in cornmeal. Fry for 4–5 minutes or until golden brown, turning half way through. Let drain on a wire rack or paper towels.
- Spread pimento cheese on biscuits, and top with fried tomatoes.
Tip: For easy meal prep, make the pimento cheese ahead of time—it will keep for a couple weeks refrigerated.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Mar 23, 2021
Spring Cleaning Countdown
| Jun 9, 2020