Photography by Laura Klynstra
These flaky cream cheese and jam cookies are traditionally made in Poland for the holidays. You can replace the raspberry jam with any jam you prefer or use different flavors for a variety of cookies.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract for 3 to 4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Add to cream cheese mixture and beat until combined.
3. Divide dough in half. Flatten each portion into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
4. When ready to roll out the dough, preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment or a baking mat and set aside.
5. Roll out dough to ¼-inch thick. Cut out 2½-inch squares. Place squares on baking sheet. Spread about 2 teaspoons jam on each square. Fold two opposite corners over and press together. Bake 12 to 16 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if using.
6. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Excerpted from Christmas Baking: Festive Cookies, Candies, Cakes, Breads, and Snacks to Bring Comfort and Joy to Your Holiday. © 2020 by Joyce and Laura Klynstra.