Sometimes a plain ole potato just won’t do as a side dish; however, when you add a little cheese and aromatic herbs, you turn bland potatoes into a dish percolating with flavor. Pair with your favorite meat, especially beef, and get ready to be thrilled.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brown 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the foam subsides, stir in the flour until creamy. Lower the heat and cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until roux is golden brown.
- Slowly pour in the milk, stirring to prevent lumps. Increase the heat to medium-high, and add the cream. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and add the remaining tablespoon of butter and the garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir well, then fully submerge sliced potatoes into the creamy mixture.
- Transfer the creamy potato mixture to a lidded 9-by-13-inch cast-iron baking dish. Add ½ cup of the Parmesan and all of the mozzarella. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and remove the lid. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of the Parmesan over the top and return the dish, uncovered, to the oven. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Excerpted from Cooking with Miss Quad: Live, Laugh, Love, and Eat. Text copyright 2019 by Quad Webb. Cover photograph copyright 2019 by Will Sterling. Reproduced by permission of The Countryman Press. All rights reserved.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jun 24, 2020
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Jun 9, 2020
These Tips Are Your North Star For Home Decorating
| Jul 30, 2020