If you want to keep your home safe from radioactive gas that overtime can cause a myriad of health issues, keep these tips in mind to maintain tranquility.
First, what is it?
Radon is a natural radioactive gas that doesn’t have an odor or a color. It can be found both outdoors and indoors, although the outdoor levels are usually lower than those present inside. This is because radon can attach itself to dust, which then gets breathed into the lungs. It can also come through the pipes or wires, because the highest levels of radon are found closest to the ground, near rocks and soil.
To prevent this risk
There are detection kits that you can get from the local hardware store to then mail into a lab for analysis to check the levels in your home. These are short-term kits, but long-term kits are what you may want to consider getting for a more in-depth analysis. These usually take 3 months, but is recommended for homes that are lower to the ground. Either way, radon testing your home could be a life-saver.
How to know if you’ve been affected
Talk to your doctor if you’re experiencing shortness of breath or trouble swallowing, which could indicate that there are high radon levels present in your home.