Latkes are a traditional fried pancake made from potatoes, that pairs well with just about any topping—sweet or savory—just like these latkes made with apples, onions, and spices.
Ingredients: For the latkes
Ingredients: For the sweet and savory chutney
For the latkes
- Using the large side of a grater, grate the onion and potatoes. Wrap both the onions and potatoes in a dish towel, squeeze out the excess juices, and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the whisked egg, flour, butter, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, scoop small amounts of the batter into the pan, making sure the latkes don’t touch each other while frying. Cook for 3–4 minutes per side, until golden and crisp on both sides.
- Line a plate with paper towels, and transfer the fried latkes onto the plate to soak up the excess oil.
- Serve immediately with chutney and sour cream.
For the chutney
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, caramelize the onions in the butter.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 tbsp. of the apple cider vinegar, and pour the onions and liquid into a pot.
- Add the apples, sugar, ginger, and the rest of the apple cider vinegar to the pot. Mix, and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, and let the mixture simmer uncovered—for 20 minutes.
- Mix in the lemon juice, curry powder, salt, cinnamon, and Dijon mustard. Raise the heat, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a container, and refrigerate.
For more traditional holiday recipe ideas, visit americanlifestylemag.com/bites.
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Mar 30, 2017
Selling Your Home? Declutter First!
| Feb 19, 2017
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Mar 19, 2017
Moving? Here’s the Ultimate Home Cleaning Checklist
| Feb 7, 2018