My daughters consider this the world’s best karaage chicken—a high compliment! The signature quality of karaage is that it is extremely juicy with a crispy crust. Gluten-free starch is used for that reason. Also, always have your frying oil up to temperature and ready to go before you toss the chicken with the coating. If it sits around once you have dredged it in the starch, it may get soggy.
- Cut the chicken thighs into 7 pieces each and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the ginger, garlic, fish sauce, sake, and salt to the bowl and rub the mixture into the chicken.
- Fill a large pot with high sides with several inches of oil and bring to 340°F.
- Sprinkle the potato starch over the chicken and toss to combine well.
- Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crispy, 6 to 7 minutes, working in batches if necessary to keep from crowding the pan. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon or skimmer and transfer to a large platter. Serve with lemon wedges.
© Rika’s Modern Japanese Home Cooking by Rika Yukimasa, Rizzoli New York, 2020. Photography © Teruaki Kawakami.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jun 24, 2020
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Jun 9, 2020
These Tips Are Your North Star For Home Decorating
| Jul 30, 2020