Photography by Iain Bagwell
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Add the chicken, potatoes, onions, and carrots to a large mixing bowl with the salt and pepper, and toss them together so that every bit of the salt and pepper is fully incorporated with the chicken and vegetables.
- Arrange the vegetables in the bottom of a heavy roasting pan. Scatter 8 tablespoons of the butter, and 1 tablespoon of the chopped rosemary, on the vegetables. Put the lemon and 2 sprigs of rosemary inside the cavity of the chicken, and place the chicken breast-side down on a roasting rack over the vegetables. Scatter the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons of chopped rosemary on top of the chicken.
- Roast the chicken at 450°F for at least 75 minutes total, as follows: After the first 25 minutes, turn the chicken on its side and roast it for 25 more minutes, then turn chicken on its other side and roast it for an additional 25 minutes. If an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reaches the proper temperature (165°F) after three 25-minute rotations, then the chicken is done. If the chicken is not done, roast it breast-side-down until it reaches the proper temperature. The breast of the chicken should never be up during roasting.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the oven, and let them rest for at least 15 minutes before arranging them on a warm serving platter. Garnish the chicken and vegetables with rosemary sprigs, and serve.
© Occasions to Celebrate by Alex Hitz, Rizzoli New York, 2022. Photographs ©Iain Bagwell.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Mar 23, 2021
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Mar 17, 2016
Make Your Own Seed Paper
| Mar 30, 2020