It might seem like making homemade bread is an exhausting and time-consuming process, but, in actuality, it can be quite simple. Forgo the yeast in favor of baking soda in this traditional Irish soda bread, and you’ll be surprised the time and energy you can save!
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add in the ½ cup of softened butter, 1 cup of the buttermilk, and egg to the dry ingredients, and mix well.
4. Pour out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead slightly. Form the dough into a round shape, and place onto a greased baking sheet.
5. Mix together the remaining buttermilk and the melted butter. Brush the mixture over the loaf, and use a knife to cut an “x” into the top.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, brushing more of the buttermilk mixture onto the dough every 15 minutes as it bakes.
Try your hand at this easy homemade bread, and be sure to snap a photo to share on social media with the hashtag #ALMbites.