Love creme brûlée? These cookies are for you! Sugar cookie cups make for the perfect custard carrying vessel—sprinkled with sugar and torched before serving to complete the whole package with a crisp, caramelized top.
Makes 2 dozen cookies
Ingredients: For the cookies
Ingredients: For the custard
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until smooth. Add the flour in batches with baking powder and salt, forming a dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Grease a mini muffin pan with pan-release spray, scoop in the cookie dough (about 1 tablespoon), and press into molds. Cover each with a little square of parchment, and use pie weights or dry beans to keep the cookies from rising. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- While the cookies are baking, simmer the milk and vanilla in a medium pot over medium heat for 2–3 minutes. (Just until scalding).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks until fluffy.
- Carefully ladle hot milk into the egg yolk mixture a little at a time, tempering the milk, while whisking. Once the eggs and milk are completely combined, return the mixture to the pot, and heat. Bring to a low simmer, and whisk in the cornstarch. Once thickened, remove from the heat, and let cool completely before filling the cookies.
- To serve, spoon custard into the cookies, and top with sugar. Using a brûlée torch, caramelize the sugar until brown and crunchy.
Tips: Need a time saver? You can use store bought sugar cookie dough!
For more holiday cookie recipes, visit americanlifestylemag.com/bites.
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Mar 30, 2017
Selling Your Home? Declutter First!
| Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Feb 19, 2017
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Feb 7, 2018
Crispy Avocado Tacos
| May 19, 2018