Celebrate the 4th with these tasty homemade toaster tarts. A rich flaky pie crust is filled with strawberry jam and decorated with your favorite red, white, and blue sprinkles and icing.
Ingredients: For the dough
Ingredients: For the filling
Ingredients: For the icing/toppings
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine flour, sugar, salt, butter, shortening, and water, forming a slightly crumbly dough ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface. Cut dough into rectangles, and fill half with 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam (each). Brush edges with egg wash, and top with remaining dough. Press tart edges with a fork to seal, and dock the top.
- Place tarts on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and bake for 30 minutes or until tarts are flaky and cooked completely. Let cool for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine icing ingredients until smooth. Separate icing into 3 bowls and tint one with red food coloring and the other with blue (keep the third bowl white).
- Decorate tarts with red, white, and blue icing and sprinkles before serving.
Tips: Pie dough will keep refrigerated or a week and frozen for a month- prep the dough ahead and thaw when ready. You can buy and tint already made icing or frosting to decorate your tarts.