Photos by Photos by Megan Neveu
It’s hard to imagine the holidays without cookies.
Whether you contribute to baking them or just enjoy eating them, cookies in all shapes, sizes, and flavors can bring a little extra cheer to the season. If you’re looking to try something new this year, these recipes from the Sugar + Spice Cookies cookbook are the perfect way to shake things up.
Makes 22 cookies
For the brown butter:
For the spiced apple cookies:
For the maple glaze:
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the butter starts to foam. Whisk continuously until brown bits start to form. Depending on your stove and saucepan, the entire process should take 10 to 15 minutes. Immediately remove the pan from the heat, and pour the brown butter into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to cool slightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, apple pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined. Add the sugars, applesauce, egg yolk and vanilla to the butter and mix until smooth and well combined. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined. Fold in the shredded apple until well combined. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop 2-tablespoon amounts of cookie dough onto the baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are set and lightly golden brown and the centers are slightly puffed. Keep the cookies on the hot baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool to room temperature.
- While the cookies cool, make the glaze. In a medium mixing bowl, add the confectioners’ sugar and stir in the maple syrup, vanilla and milk until well combined. Drizzle the glaze on top of the cooled cookies. Allow 20 to 30 minutes for the glaze to set before serving.
Reprinted with permission from Sugar + Spice Cookies by Megan Neveu. Page Street Publishing Co. 2022. Photo credit: Megan Neveu.