You found your dream home, settled on a price, and are ready to move in—all you need to do now is pack. But as one of the most difficult and time-consuming parts of the moving process, it’s a challenge to determine the best strategy.
Before you start, be sure to check out this guide so you can avoid the inevitable pitfalls of a big move!
How many boxes will I need?
Depending on the size of your home and how long you’ve lived there, you will probably need a decent amount of boxes and packing materials to make sure your belongings are safe.
Studio: 10–20 boxes
1 Bedroom: 20–40 boxes
2 Bedrooms: 40–60 boxes
2 Bedrooms: 60–80 boxes
3 Bedrooms: 80–100 boxes
4 Bedrooms: 100–120
5 or more Bedrooms: 120+ boxes
How much will boxes and packaging material cost?
The cost of your packing materials will vary depending on how much you need, but you can estimate based on the average cost per unit of materials.
Standard Corrugated Box (4 inches to 48 inches): $0.20–$5.00
Double Wall Box (items more than 40 pounds): $0.90–$9.00
Plastic Storage Bin: $3–$60.00 (depending on size)
*Estimated cost for filling a standard box
Bubble Wrap: $0.24
Packing Peanuts: $0.30
How can I ensure my items are safe?
- Aside from cardboard boxes, stack-able plastic bins work wonders for keeping things organized and protected, and they are relatively inexpensive.
- Keep hanging clothes as is, and pack them in a wardrobe box to save time. Each box holds about 2 feet of hanging clothes.
- Allot one roll of tape for every 15–20 boxes, and be sure to tape every box on the top and bottom.
- Consider packing electronics, like televisions and computers, in their original boxes.
- Always wrap fragile items, like mirrors and ceramic decorations, in bubble wrap before placing in boxes. Cover furniture in blankets for some extra cushion.
- When packing essential items you will need right away, keep them toward the top of the box or, better yet, together in their own box.
- Don’t forget to label boxes with a list of the items inside, as well as the room they belong in.