The next time you need to whip up a meal that pleases vegetarians and meat-lovers, head to the tropical fruit section for Jackfruit—a large, rough-textured species of fig. Trust us, no one will be able to see or taste the difference!
Ingredients: For the barbecued jackfruit
Ingredients: For the macaroni coleslaw
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic, and sauté until the onions are soft.
- Add in the paprika, cumin, and mustard powder, and stir until fragrant. Mix in the tomato paste and vinegar. Stir for one minute before adding in the water and brown sugar.
- Turn the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally until the mixture thickens, and then remove from heat.
- Drain the jackfruit in cool water, and place in a large bowl. Using a fork, shred the fruit to the texture of pulled pork. Pour in the sauce mixture, and stir to coat the fruit. Spread the fruit pieces out evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake for 15–20 minutes.
- While the jackfruit is baking, prepare the macaroni coleslaw. Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil, and cook the macaroni until tender. Drain, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugar, salt, pepper, tequila, cilantro, and lime juice until thoroughly mixed. Add in the tri-colored slaw, green onion, and macaroni, and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, remove the jackfruit from the oven, and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the barbecued jackfruit evenly onto hamburger buns, and top with a scoop of the coleslaw, or serve on the side.
You may also like:
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Feb 16, 2018
Sell Faster with These Small Projects
| Feb 19, 2017
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Mar 30, 2017
Selling Your Home? Declutter First!
| Feb 23, 2018
The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist
| Apr 25, 2018
Interior Design 101: Master Your Decorating
| Mar 19, 2017