Around the holidays, people are always searching for chic home decor solutions that will stand out. And with this guide to dried citrus accents, you can make your own homemade citrus-based versions that will impress your guests and provide a pleasant scent!
How to dry citrus in the oven
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Using a sharp knife, slice citrus fruits into thin slices (less than ¼-inch thick).
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, and arrange sliced fruit about ½-inch apart.
- Dry your citrus for 2-3 hours, or until there is no more moisture. The varying thickness of the slices along with the sugar content in each fruit will cause uneven drying times, so remove dried slices as they finish, returning the tray to the oven to let others finish.
Note: A food dehydrator is much more energy efficient, and it is worth the investment if you see a lot of fruit drying in your future.
How to make the accents
- Run floral wire through the flesh of the dried fruit near the rinds to create a hook for an all-natural ornament.
- Thread ribbon through the fruit and around a napkin or wine glass for a fresh twist on your place settings.
Note: Store any extra citrus slices in an airtight container, and use them to add a fresh twist, incredible flavor, and pop of color to water, iced tea, or hot tea.