For a delicious twist on the classic strawberry shortcake, crushed pistachios are folded into the shortcake dough and mascarpone cheese is whipped, sweetened, and studded with fresh berries and mint.
Makes 6 shortcakes
Ingredients: For the shortcake dough
Ingredients: For the mascarpone
Ingredients: For the toppings
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and pistachios. Using your hands or a pastry blender, incorporate butter—breaking up the chunks slightly. Fold in buttermilk until a rough dough forms.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface into a ¾-inch thick rectangle. Cut into 3-inch circles, and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake for 8–10 minutes or until lightly brown. Let cool at room temperature until ready to serve.
- In an electric mixer, whip together mascarpone cream ingredients until smooth.
- Pipe cream onto split shortcakes, and top with berries, pistachios, and mint.
Tip: You can make the mascarpone cream ahead of time and store, refrigerated, for about 1 week.
For more amazing dessert recipes, visit www.americanlifestylemag.com/bites.