Tofu comes both in water-packed and vacuum-packed styles. Water-packed tends to have a lot more moisture and you’ll need to squeeze out some of the excess moisture. In the case of vacuum-packed tofu, which is drier, you might want to reconstitute your tofu at the end with some nondairy milk to get more of a scrambled egg texture. Either way works—it’s really entirely up to you and what texture you prefer.
Makes 3 cups (3 servings)
- In a cast-iron or nonstick pan over medium heat, sauté the shallot in oil or vegan butter for about 1 minute, until soft.
- Using your hands, crumble the tofu into small chunks, like scrambled eggs, directly into the pan. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Then stir in the nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, ó teaspoon sea salt, and black pepper.
- If you’re bulking up your scram with veggies, add them in just after you mix in the seasonings. Continue frying for 3 to 4 more minutes. If you used a water-packed tofu, it’s usually perfect at this point. If the mixture is too dry for your liking, add a little bit of nondairy milk, up to . cup, until the desired consistency is achieved. If you add the nondairy milk, you’ll likely need to cook the scramble for another 2 minutes or so.
- Stir in the chives during the last 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the kala namak. Add up to another ó teaspoon of sea salt to your taste if necessary. Using kala namak often makes it salty enough, but if you don’t use it, you will likely need to add more salt to taste.
- Store in the fridge and consume within 3 days.
REPRINTED FROM HOT FOR FOOD ALL DAY. COPYRIGHT © 2021 BY LAUREN TOYOTA. PUBLISHED BY TEN SPEED PRESS, AN IMPRINT OF RANDOM HOUSE, A DIVISION OF PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE LLC.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Mar 23, 2021
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Jun 9, 2020